Raising Dinah

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Before the Beginning

I mentioned in my first post that we'd felt God leading us to stop taking birth control. I thought I'd share (and document) how it all went down.
In mid-late October, we started getting that feeling. We both thought it was crazy. Our plan was to wait until we got all of our student loans paid off, and Dean went back to finish his degree. Besides, we're in the process of building a 600 square foot apartment (and future shop building). It hardly seemed like the ideal place for a baby. We both kept feeling that pull, though.

It was time for me to take a week off of the pill anyway, so we decided to use that time to really dive into the Word and spend time in prayer to seek the answer. At the end of that week, we still didn't have a clear answer...and then it rained. Dean was working outside so rain meant he was off for the day. In my last quiet time, I had decided Dean was the head of our household, and it was now between him and God. I prayed that God would give him clear direction, and told them both I trusted them. My sweet hubby spent his rainy day reading and praying, praying and reading, and waiting. Finally, he looked at his watch, and it was almost time to pick me up from lunch, just enough time for a couple more chapters. He prayed again for an answer, and got back to reading where he saw the following words: "Sons are a heritage from the Lord, children a reward from Him. Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. They will not be put to shame when they contend with their enemies in the gate." (Psalm 127:3-5) Wow. That seemed pretty straightforward, so he continued to read, "Your wife will be like a fruitful vine within your house; your sons will be like olive shoots around your table." (Psalm 128:3) And then he was convinced.

It was then that we were certain it was time to stop taking the pill, and leave it in God’s hands. We knew it didn't necessarily mean we were having kids anytime soon. We were just putting our trust in Him, and letting Him do His thing. We were further convinced, when only 2 months went by before our big discovery (and by that, of course, I mean a positive pregnancy test).

No comments: