Raising Dinah

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Doctors, Friends, and Challenges

Well, I had my first prenatal appointment yesterday. No big deal. Dean and I met with the nurse and gave our family medical history, got lots of information and picked up some freebies and samples. I go back in 3 weeks, at which time; I won’t get off so easy. I have to have blood work done before my visit, and the actual appointment will include lots of tests, and checking the baby’s heartbeat.


I’ve been pretty proud of myself lately. The nurse had told me when I called about scheduling an appointment that I needed to limit my caffeine intake to one caffeinated beverage per day. I’ve limited it to two per week, if that. I’m so disciplined. At our meeting yesterday, she reiterated the limit of caffeinated and carbonated beverages. Wait, what? No carbonation either?! Crap. I’ve done great with limiting caffeine, but I don’t like the water at work so I’ve been drinking Sprite about half the time. Looks like I’m going to have to start bringing my own water (or maybe juice or milk), or figure out some way to coax myself into drinking the water at work.

Now that the secret’s out, we’ve been getting some great reactions. Some people swear they knew weeks ago, or that they saw it coming. Others are surprised. Aside from our family’s reactions, Chris and Laurie (our college minister & his wife)  and Alex M. (a friend from college)  had the best. Laurie exclaimed “Yaaayyy!!” and told Chris who quickly joined in the celebratory exclamations of “Yaaayy!! Yaayy!” Alex responded with, “Yay!!!! What a lucky baby!!!”

As usual, Laurie was very encouraging. She told us not to be too nervous, because babies have never had parents before so they don’t know when you’re messing up. They also don’t have solid memories for a few years, so we have time to figure things out. Haha! This is why I love to talk to Laurie G.

No comments: