Raising Dinah

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Deborah's Birth: A Horror Film

Last night, Dean and I went to our first childbirth class. We were having fun, and learning a lot, until…


the film. It seems I am in the minority, but I never had sex-ed in school, so I never saw this film. It was a little terrifying. When it was over, I turned to my husband, and said “Holy.Crap.” He wasn’t fazed by it a bit. He says it’s because he’d seen one before. I say it’s because he knows his role in this will be cheerleader/coach. Sure, it’s not as scary for the people on the sidelines. They’re not the ones with the 250 pound linebacker running straight for them. I digress. Though, may I also say that you have to have no concept of modesty to be the center of that film? No one has ever been so exposed as the women in birth films. You’d have to pay me Bill Gates’ salary for me to even consider it.

On another note, I have kind of been on the fence about getting an epidural versus going natural. I went into the class undecided, decided partway through that an epidural was probably the way to go, and by the end was undecided again. There are so many pros and cons. Maybe I’ll have a better idea after next week’s class. We’re going to talk about medication.

No comments: