Raising Dinah

Friday, August 20, 2010

The 3 Stages of Maternity Wear

I’ve learned something about maternity clothes. They go in stages. When my regular clothes began to get uncomfortable, I bought a couple pair of maternity pants I could wear to work and a few shirts. I remember putting them on and thinking “Ahh…that feels MUCH better.” The pants had a thick elastic band at the top. I’d heard the “secret fit” was best, but these were cheaper and felt way better than regular clothes. How much better could the others be, anyway? I call that, Stage 1.


Then, as I got bigger, the band started to cut into my growing belly and get uncomfortable. The shirts I had gotten still fit well. I KNEW I’d made a good choice on those shirts. I had figured they could grow with me. At that point, my sweet Mama bought me a couple pairs of slacks with that special “secret fit” panel. It was just a wide stretchy band that could be folded over or worn up over the belly. “Ahh, I thought. THAT feels much better.” Also around that time, some friends of mine gave me some hand-me-down maternity clothes, mostly shirts, but also a few shorts. Now, I was SET. I call that, Stage 2.

And now, the pants with the band cut into me and are quite uncomfortable. The wide elastic panel either slips down if it’s folded over, or gets itchy if it’s stretched up. Also at this point, the majority of my shirts are not long enough anymore. I have a couple that have actually grown with me quite well. For the most part, they’ve all become too short. I even wear a skirt to work every so often. That is also unusual for me. I’m not a skirt/dress kind of girl. Usually, I reserve skirts and dresses for weddings, funerals and church. After almost 2 years at my job, this is the first time I’ve worn a skirt to work. I’m beginning to think if I had a long, sleeveless dress, I would wear it every day. But, now that I’m less than 6 weeks out, I don’t want to buy anything new. My second choice would be a tank top and comfy shorts, but I can’t wear that to work. I call this, Stage 3.

No comments: