Raising Dinah

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Prenatal Appointment #2

Yesterday was my second prenatal appointment. The first one was mostly an information session, so this one really got down to business. Before my appointment, I had to have blood drawn. At the appointment, they poked and prodded, and asked questions and answered questions. I guess I should get used to that. They took blood samples, and other samples to check for everything under the sun. They asked if I had any questions, but I can never think of any while I’m there. In fact, when I do occasionally think of something to ask, I forget what it was before I get to where I can write it down.


She reminded me to eat lots of protein, and fruits and vegetables, etc. Ok, I can do that. She said avoid fast food. I can do that too. She said limit sweets: cakes, cookies, pies. Yep, that can be done. And, she said limit bread. Say what? Now, let’s not get crazy.

Last, but not least, we heard the heartbeat. It’s a very comforting sound. I get a little nervous sometimes, because I can barely keep a plant alive. Good thing my body pretty much takes care of that for me, and I don’t have to rely on talent or skill. It was beating at a strong 160 bpm. That seems fast, but the smaller something is, the faster their heart beats. An elephant’s heart beats only 12 times per minute, if you want to compare. I wonder what the heart rate is for a blue whale.

We don’t have results back from any of the tests, but I’m not worried. I think it’s safe to say I don’t have HIV, and I’ll be interested to know my blood type. I go back every four weeks until about 6 months, then I’ll go every two, and toward the end, every week. It was a good day.

1 comment:

Amey said...

I'm with you on cutting down on bread. I love bread!!