Raising Dinah

Friday, September 17, 2010

The Answer

About six months ago, I poured out my heart and the changes therein, about staying at home. Now, it’s my last day of work before I go on maternity leave, and I finally have a plan, a compromise.


In a few weeks (the exact number of which is still to be determined), I will return to work, but only on a part-time basis. I never could reconcile my brain to the thought of daycare, and it would have taken a big chunk of my check anyway. It just didn’t seem worth it. But, if I didn’t work, I couldn’t pay for insurance.

Long story short, I will be off two days a week, Dean will start working longer shifts and be off one day a week, and a friend of ours will be taking care of our sweet baby the remaining two days. Problem solved. We will have to get an individual insurance plan, which I know will be far inferior to the group plan we’re on now, but it’s a trade we’re willing to make in order to be home with her ourselves or at least have her with someone we know and trust.

As I mentioned, I start maternity leave after today.  I will spend the weekend with my husband and mother.  Monday and Tuesday, I will finish up any last minute things and get some rest, hopefully.  And, bright and early Wednesday morning, we head to the hospital for our induction.  This could all change, of course, if our new arrival decides to come earlier.  That would be perfectly fine with us.  I am not looking forward to an induction, but the doctor tells us she's looking like she's big and that my hips are pretty narrow.  We're afraid an induction could cause me to need a c-section, but we're also afraid that if we don't induce she won't have room and I'll end up with one anyway.  It's a catch 22.  So, please pray that she'll come before her induction (even if it's the night before!) and that she'll be small enough to get out with no problems. 

No comments: